Friday, April 13, 2007

Leaf Blowers and Street Cleaners - a random stream of ?

I got into work early today so I could have a cup of coffee, play a game of Free Cell, and check email and bank accounts before anyone came in. As I was getting my cup o' joe, I noticed a man with a leaf blower - at 7:30 in the morning?! What the hell for? .... probably clearing debris from the parking lot before the "suits" came in.

I just don't get the point of leaf blowers. It seems to be a huge waste of energy... unless you want to do your part to help melt the polar caps! What the hell happened to rakes & push brooms? Do you think that blowing your leaves into the street or on your neighbor's property is going to make them go away???

On that note, what about street cleaners? I passed one the other day kicking up a cloud of dust. Can anyone tell me why it is necessary for a large steamroller-like vehicle pushing a giant roller/brush to kick up street dirt? Where does all this flying dust go?

I'll tell you - on my car, right after I had it washed! I think that's the way the city gets rid of street dirt: by transferring it to passing traffic. Why else would they do this during rush hour?
Next time you pass a street cleaning vehicle you can count that as community service.

No comments: