Friday, April 13, 2007

Crazy Cardboard Lady

Nicknames help define who we are and our relationship to others. They can be a term of endearment such as Baby, Hubby or to identify someone by their function such as Magazine Guy, DHL Lady. Unusual habits or features also make for good labels such as Cyclops for the girl with a glass eye or Super Hero guy for the customer who collects comic book memorabilia.

Today I became " Crazy Cardboard Lady".

I am trying to do my part for the environment and recycle when I can. We can accumulate quite a bit of cardboard at work and I bring a van-load bi-weekly to a nearby recycling center. I feel like a bit of an oddity there surrounded by construction workers bringing in old gutters and siding and vagabonds bringing in shopping carts filled with cans.

After several months of drop-offs I am recognized with nods and the occasional wave from the workers there. I wondered how they refer to me. Do they appreciate my cardboard offerings? Do I have a nickname?

Today when one of the older gentlemen nodded and came over to help, I had to ask. " Do I have a nickname?"
" What do you want to be called?" he asked
" Crazy Cardboard Lady!" I exclaimed, gleefully.
He laughed. It's always a good day when I can put a smile on someone's face. Even when it is at the expense of my dignity. Wait, who am I kidding. I have no dignity.
But...TODAY I HAVE A NICKNAME - I'm Crazy Cardboard Lady, a name tag I will wear proudly!

No comments: