Thursday, March 12, 2009

How to Fix Damn Near Everything




There's a great book with the same name, How To Fix Damn Near Everything by Franklynn Peterson, that is an "Easy-to-Follow Guide" to repairing all sorts of household items.

But that is not what this post is about....


I have been having issues at work with an automatic overhead door that has seen better days. The tenant before me must have left the latch locked in place when using the opener and there is a huge dent and rip in the top panel. The bottom panel is also dented by what looks like either a bad or impatient driver (that was not me!).

The end result is a door that gaps a bit on the sides.


The Repairman Cometh

For the second time in 5 months, a repairman was called in to see why the door is starting to slip during the last inch of closing. I was worried about further heat loss as well as critters sneaking in at night.

After tinkering a bit with the drive train, the workman focused his attention on the warped door. Using a combination of fist, hammer & feet, he employed a method I like to use at home. One that always gets me in trouble with my husband. A little trick I like to call...
"The Kicking The Crap Out of It Until It is Fixed Method"


Guess what? It works!!!
Next time I do this at home, I think I'll include a repair bill for $85 an hour! That ought to get me some respect!!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hubby likes to employ the "The Kicking The Crap Out of It Until It is Fixed Method" too. it usually freaks me out and i try to stop him and figure out the "right" way to fix it. then i give up and let him go at it. his way usually works better lol

Tara R. said...

That is awesome... I need to employ that method on a few things at my home too. Thanks for the DIY tip. I need to look for that book too.

Ann Harrison said...

Will do!!!
The next time I need to fix something I'll give this a try.

WeaselMomma said...

That's hysterical! I hope it stays fixed.

jojo said...

Ha Ha, I don't know that I have ever fixed anything by kicking the crap out of it, but I imagine it would make me feel better!

terri said...

That method actually works? I've only ever managed to break things further by kicking the crap out of them.

Mrs4444 said...

That's hilarious!