Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Cukes in a Pickle!


I picked a bunch of pickling cucumbers tonight. The giant one is about 5 1/2 inches long and 2 1/4 in diameter. I found that one hiding near the bottom of the vines. There are several that are oval shaped or have started to curl up at the ends. My Straight Eights have yet to take off.

This is due to the heat! It has been in the 90's for several days. I have heard from several bloggers that they are having problems with their crop this year. I spoke with a friend who is quite knowledgeable about gardening. He told me when it is hot, the plants are concerned with putting out seed in a hurry and that's why the fruit tends to ball up. My friend suggested watering the garden for several hours to get the ground fully saturated down deep. Then don't water for a few days. This will encourage the roots to burrow down deeper into the earth for water. This should make for stronger, healthier plants.

I will give it a try! I also hope to try my hand at a sample batch of Kosher Deli Style Dill Pickles. I'll post the recipe I use if I do!

No comments: