Friday, October 23, 2009

Twenty Minutes

Today I went to my youngest son's elementary school for "Muffins with Mom". There are several of these breakfast events to choose from. There is also "Donuts with Dad" and "Bagels with a Buddy". Each family can choose one each year to go to. My son chose the first event.

I wore my "Mom" jeans. The pair that emphasize my "Muffin Top". It only seemed fitting.

While I am extremely appreciative of this annual breakfast event, I couldn't help but wonder. The time alloted was from 7:30 to 7:50. Just 20 minutes. Just enough time to run in the building, grab a cup of coffee or juice and a muffin, find a seat and eat. Quickly.

I was able to meet a few moms at our table. Briefly. At 7:50 we briskly walked to the classroom. No time to talk to the teacher. Not even a wave. It was time for students to get ready and get down to business.

This reminds me of Parent-Teacher conferences.

Twenty minutes.

Feels like speed dating (not that I've ever done that).

This begs the question: What is so magical about "Twenty Minutes"?

It takes me Twenty Minutes just to warm up!

5 comments:

terri said...

Twenty minutes is nothing! It almost seems as if someone is just trying to meet a requirement. Their hearts aren't really in it. It's kind of sad, actually.

Tara R. said...

Heck, I'm not awake in 20 minutes! What can you get done in 20 minutes for breakfast, except maybe getting heartburn.

Cheffie-Mom said...

I agree -- not enough time at all. It takes me more than 20 minutes to start functioning in the mornings!!

enJOY your week!!

Mike said...

It's the attention span of kids, and of some adults. Twenty minutes is all they can handle and probably all the teacher can handle...

jamie@midcenturymania said...

We have four kids, only one left at home. I wish I had written down all the stories when they were young. I kept saying I was going to but never did. I enjoy your posts. It's cool that you're recording life's little moments.