Thursday, January 8, 2009

Friday Fragments - What did you mean by that?

Friday Fragments

Friday Fragments are bits and pieces of your week that are usually brief; too short for a stand-alone post, but too good to discard.

Be Careful of What you Ask

We are creatures of habits and tend to ask questions that we don't really want an answer to.
We ask total strangers "How are you doing today?", a fellow parent: "How are your kids?"or a shop owner as we stroll through their establishment, "How's business?". Most time we are looking for a one-word, affirmative answer; "Great!" or "Fine" or "Okay". This is our awkward attempt at being friendly.

I've caught myself pontificating to the point of eyes glazing over when asked about my children, only to realize one syllable would have sufficed. The clerk at the store doesn't really want to hear about my litany of ailments. Many times it is unclear how much information is too much and whether my inquisitor really cares.

I've decided that my new tag-line / response to this line of questioning will be:
"Do you want the Director's Cut or the Cliff Notes version?"

Um....Thanks (I think)


Speaking of awkward conversation.... I was at a business networking luncheon yesterday. It was a delightful group of people exchanging polite conversation over a catered meal at a fine-dining establishment. As the event was breaking up and we were exchanging goodbyes, one of my table-mates wished me
"Good luck with your business!"

I've been in business for over 15 years and things are "going well"* (*Cliff Notes Version). I couldn't help but wonder if the parting comment was meant as a nicety, the same way someone would say " God Bless You!" to a sneeze. Or was it more snooty like " Good luck with your life" (I have no use for your kind)?

Perhaps I didn't sound sincere enough when I had said "It was nice meeting you." Come to think of it, I was just being polite.

I wonder what the world would be like if we all just said EXACTLY what we meant????


In other news (non-sequitur)

On Wednesday, we finally got some snow ( 2 weeks 2 late). We are supposed to have a bit more snowfall over the weekend. Glad we haven't put away our "Holiday Decorations". Macy's is having a kick-*** sale. Perhaps I'll recreate Christmas. I think I'll take a "Do-Over"!

6 comments:

nonna said...

this is me looking up where you live, wondering how long it will take me to drive up there to play in your snow since i don't think we are ever gonna get any!

terri said...

Oh, if some of the words that float around inside my head were to be released, I'd be in BIG trouble!

Tara R. said...

"Do you want the Director's Cut or the Cliff Notes version?" I iove this! I will be using this very soon.

Mrs4444 said...

Popped by to say hi and caught your FF post before seeing it on my blog!

I am guilty of responding to such questions with brutal honesty. Sassy, I know, but don't ask if you really don't want to know; I'm not good at faking it. :)

Hope you get to play in some snow!~

WeaselMomma said...

I think it would be hysterical if we all said what we meant for a day. Beyond 24 hours I think the murder rate would go up.

Cheffie-Mom said...

Can I come to your house and have fun in the snow? (: