Monday, June 16, 2008

What we are reading today..

I've been a bit short on time for posts but want to get 2 quick reading suggestions in:

I just finished reading Julie & Julia My Year of Cooking Dangerously by Julie Powell. Great read! It is a chronicle of a woman who tries to fill a void in her life by taking on the ultimate cooking challenge. She decides to make all of 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. In one year! I don't cook and can't begin to imagine the dedication this took.
The closest I came to a project like that was the summer I worked in a dress shop near a Baskin Robbins. I decided to have all 31 flavors in a month. I ended up having double-scoops of ice cream for lunches every weekday, gaining a few pounds and finding out there was way more than 31 flavors. Even if you don't count the sherbets.

My boys are reading religiously everyday as part of the summer reading program the local library sponsors. Tonight my 7 year old son started reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo. (She also wrote Because of Winn-Dixie).

My son's first grade teacher had read this to the class during the school year and he loved it. He came home and told me about this book one day when we went for a walk. A very sweet and melancholy story about a china rabbit named Edward and the tumultuous turns his life takes. Think Velveteen Rabbit with more violence, tragedy and bigger words.

Now I am having him read it to me. Lots of new words. For both of us. (Tonight's new words were jaunty and ennui and this is just the beginning) Highly recommend this book!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

When I first heard of the "Julia & Julia" book, I thought to myself "now there is someone with time and money". I have neither.
The girls and I love summer reading. I stocked up in May...I'm almost done with my 3rd book, and I have 3 to go. Oh, and I'm embarrased to say...never read Winn-Dixie but LOVE the movie!!! :)