Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Freedom of Religion?

This weekend I attended the Bar Mitzvah of one of my nephews. The two major themes in the ceremony were Justice and Freedom.

In reflection, I began to wonder. How much "Freedom" of religion do we really have? My nephew did not have much of a choice in whether or not to go to Hebrew School in preparation for this major event. I'm sure at this point, being much richer in mind and in the bank, he does not regret the experience. But the fact remains. My nephew did not choose his religion, he was born into it.

Freedom of Speech?


As Americans, we often take our many freedoms for granted. We also sometimes can take them too far.

As our family was together celebrating this auspicious religious milestone, a gunman in Arizona opened fire at a political rally killing 6 people and injuring scores more.

While funerals are being planned, a "Church" is planning to picket the funerals of the victims. The courts and citizens are stepping in to protect the right of the mourners to say goodbye to their loved ones in peace. I can not help but wonder.

How can untethered freedom of speech be a guaranteed right when it clearly infringes on others?

Where is the justice for the innocent victims of this horrific tragedy? How can a "church" celebrate this crime?

My heart breaks for the friends and families of the deceased.

2 comments:

Tara R. said...

Phelps and his minions are evil and hardly Christian. I was heartened to read that the Arizona legislature pass a law that will hopefully minimize he pain he wants to inflict on families during this, their darkest times.

seashore subjects said...

I agree with Tara about the "Christians."

And. on any given Sunday, I'm willing to bet my son agrees with you on the freedom of religion ;)