Sunday, July 11, 2010

Garden Update

This has been a good year so far for Cucumbers and we have produced a record-breaking cuke (for our garden) measuring approximately 10 inches.

Yesterday I picked the first tomato of the season. Unfortunately it is the size of a Ping Pong ball

Our newest squash plant that I think may be a Butternut but it has the markings of a Zuccini.

We appear to have an infestation of Squash borer bugs that have destroyed many of my vines.
Fortunately I have harvested several yellow squash. Enough to be ready for a new vegetable.
This is a close-up of a damaged vine. The white powder is Diatomaceous Earth which is ground up shells that are only harmful to insects with hard shells, slugs and other tiny pests.


Apparently the white powder is also good for getting prints of other larger garden raiders.
This appears to be of a burglar with a striped tail and black mask. We are waiting for the lab results to ID the prints of the purp that left this trail.

Crime Scene Investigation is among my many hobbies!

4 comments:

terri said...

That is one huge cucumber! There's nothing better than home-grown summer vegetables.

Good luck keeping the critters (both 4-legged and 6-legged) from destroying your crop.

Tara R. said...

I may have to give up on gardening. I have lovely, big plants, but little to no fruit. Blech... I must just have a brown thumb.

Rose Gold said...

I admire your perseverance on determining what is happening on your garden. You really had the passion for gardening as what is expected for every gardener. Learn things as it come and gain experience from it. Although you got small tomatoes as of now, surely you will have large ones as you gain experience on how to grow them properly. Keep it up.

Rose Crystal said...

Oh. That is a whooping cucumber! Actually, the biggest that I have produced is 2 inches shorter than what you have. LOL. BUt it was fun watching the cucumbers grow longer and longer as the time pass by. Anyway, I want justice for your garden! Catch that culprit! LOL.